Next Fixture

Stafford Rangers v. Witton Albion
0 days 10 hours and 32 minutes

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Zigga Zagga... 6 years 11 months ago #1

One for the oldies... Something that I've always wondered.

Anybody know the origin of the famous Witton war cry? When did it first ring around the Central Ground? (If it ever did...)

Not many clubs have a Zigga Zagga, but a certain Manchester based club did... Any idea which of us got there first?!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Club Shop Online

Check out the great range of goods on sale at the Witton Albion Club Shop.

Zigga Zagga... 6 years 11 months ago #2

Funnily enough was speaking to Phil Chadwick about this at Crewe and he mentioned that Stoke used to sing it a long time ago. Not sure if we nicked it from them or what, but I felt sorry for you having no replies.
Should not post when drunk.

Zigga Zagga... 6 years 11 months ago #3

Gazza was singing this chant from my early days as a Wittoner at the Central Ground, i can remember us annoying him many times by asking him to start it and then all keeping silent when we should of shouted Albion!

Zigga Zagga... 6 years 10 months ago #4

I think it stemmed from a play/short story on the television in the 70's which was about a group of Stoke fans, and then it was adopted long before Gazza was a twinkle!

Remember I think Keith Jump and Neil Hamman possibly starting it in the early 70's (Help me out CJ from a time where you had hairs and flares!!!)

Also remember a short period of time again at the Central Ground where some of the choir were singing 'Barnstornworth' I think ive seen since it was in relation to a 'Ripping Yarns' short story.

Zigga Zagga... 6 years 10 months ago #5

I'm pretty sure this was part of the repertoire of the Central Ground Choir during the 1966-67 season.

Zigga Zagga... 6 years 10 months ago #6

• C.J.
  • Away
  • Legend
  • Legend
  • Thank you received: 519
Think lord Sid is right it was a Stoke chant from 67 when the play was written/performed then we robbed it to be come Albion, I think we just revived it in the 70s as we did a few songs, remember give us a W with the placards, last used I think vs Chelmsford in the FA cup may have been trophy tho ? we don't have enough in the choir now for the letters ha ha UTA
Witton Albion for Life UTA

Zigga Zagga... 6 years 10 months ago #7

Derby county used to chant zigzag zagga Kevin hector in the 70,s

Zigga Zagga... 6 years 10 months ago #8

Interesting replies, I love hearing of the days at the Central Ground, sadly I wasn't born when the bulldozers moved in :(

What I'd give to have the ground in town still...

Zigga Zagga... 6 years 10 months ago #9

• WHS
  • Legend
  • Legend
  • Just call me "WHS"
  • Thank you received: 164
No where to park your car though on a Saturday afternoon and let's face it, no one walks nowadays so where we are is no real problem.
WHS.
I have been retired for 8 years now and I can confirm two things; You cannot work out how you found time to go to work and it is wonderful to be TOTALLY in charge of your life, with the wife's permission of course. Read me in the Our Town magazine.

Last edit: by WHS.

Zigga Zagga... 6 years 10 months ago #10

It was a German chant originally which was picked up by English fans in the early days of European competitions (late 50s-Early 60s). Many clubs had their own chosen one who started the chant every game including john Bailey of stoke who inspired the play shown on tv in the 60s which popularised the chant even more.

Zigga Zagga... 6 years 10 months ago #11

I remember zigga zagga being sung at the central ground when I first started watching the albs but during the early days at WP I remember it most, probably because there were so many singing it during our hey day (with gaz leading of course!). V*cs copied it from us in the conference days but it never did and will have the same ring to it .veryangry

The other song that I have always thought was ours was "if I had the wings of a sparrow" (my bonnie lies over the ocean), it was probably started by another club but I've just always thought of it as a witton song and miss singing it with the d*ill field not being there anymore! The words just seem to fit perfectly, oh happy days :laugh:
If I had the wings of a sparrow...

Zigga Zagga... 6 years 10 months ago #12

WHS wrote: No where to park your car though on a Saturday afternoon and let's face it, no one walks nowadays so where we are is no real problem.
WHS.

Most people lived in, or close to town, in the central ground days anyway so lots just walked there. Those that had to drive parked in the nearby streets and there were car parks like the memorial hall, handy jacks etc. I think we lost quite a few of the older generation wittoners when we moved to Wincham Park as it was not walking distance for them.

Zigga Zagga... 6 years 10 months ago #13

Left Pegger wrote: Interesting replies, I love hearing of the days at the Central Ground, sadly I wasn't born when the bulldozers moved in :(
What I'd give to have the ground in town still...

The Central Ground is still my favourite football ground that I've ever been too, including Premier league grounds and grounds abroad. Just something about the place.....

Zigga Zagga... 6 years 10 months ago #14

this chant was used at the central ground shortly after i started watching witton, and i became a witton fan in 1962.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds