• Page:

TOPIC:

Witton Albion vs Atherton Collieries. 8 months 6 days ago #16

• C.J.
  • Away
  • Legend
  • Legend
  • Thank you received: 508
Well, it was a vital 3 points to stop the bad run but it wasn't an easy watch. We clung on well to win it but the standard of football left a bit to be desired, coupled with no width and a packed 11 man defence or any dead ball doesn't do it for me. Sadly didn't get to see Goulding play his last game but good luck to him in Australia, we will miss him for sure.
My MoM probably Foley for an all action display UTA
Witton Albion for Life UTA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by WHEELS.

Witton Albion vs Atherton Collieries. 8 months 6 days ago #17

To be honest C.J, I didn't care how we played yesterday as long as we got 3 points so in that respect job done. I thought for the first 25 mins we were nervous and some players were lacking confidence. I thought the 2nd half we got the ball down more and tried to play more. Both forwards scored, Chris Renshaw didn't have much to do. We still need a creative midfielder but the result stops the bad run & maybe we can put another run together. Glass half full rather than half empty.

Witton Albion vs Atherton Collieries. 8 months 6 days ago #18

• WHEELS
  • WHEELS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1287
As a supporter observing from a distance, the initial reaction on my part and I suspect on many others was one of relief that we managed to put that disappointing run of results behind us. I get the impression that getting the win was always going to come in that manner but when results are going against you, then you'll take whatever you can get. It was vital that we stopped the rot because our next two games at South Shields and then Basford, and with little or no time between them will certainly test our squad but at least now, we can look forward to them in a more positive mood and you just never know.

Witton Albion vs Atherton Collieries. 8 months 6 days ago #19

• C.J.
  • Away
  • Legend
  • Legend
I was as relieved as anyone to get 3 points! My glass was half full when Sambor and Goulding were playing and we had a bit more pace and drive in the team (FCUM game). Now we look a bit one paced and flat and because of that, we are even more defensive! And we might even grab a point or two out of the next 2 games but it won't be pretty. I guess it boils down to this, do you just want points at any cost or to be entertained the 2 things are not the same.

Witton Albion vs Atherton Collieries. 8 months 6 days ago #20

At the moment C.J, points are all that matter. I would rather win ugly than play like Barcelona and lose. Kyle Sambor isn't the great saviour everyone thinks, he's a kid who has stepped up 2/3 divisions and is learning as he goes along plus he's been injured. I think expectations are too high among Witton fans for the size of budget compared to most of the other clubs in the top 12 in the league. Realistically, a top 10 finish is decent and anything else is a bonus.

Witton Albion vs Atherton Collieries. 8 months 6 days ago #21

• C.J.
  • Away
  • Legend
  • Legend
Your entitled to your opinion but I disagree that trying to win ugly every week is sustainable and that is our approach to games recently I know 3 long term regular Wittoners who are not watching them just now just because of the approach taken.

Witton Albion vs Atherton Collieries. 8 months 6 days ago #22

• jonnyamery
  • Football Hero
  • Football Hero
  • Its a grand old team to play for!
  • Thank you received: 147
A massive win and congratulations to the lads.

Couldn't disagree more Kyle Sambor is a player of real quality, yes he is learning but he is the only forward we have who can actually turn defences and gives us a chance of fast attacking play, and will only get better the more he plays.

As for this budget nonsense that raises its head everytime someone has an opinion is just tired and boring, there are lots of teams in worse positions than us and also previous managers who have had alot less budget, doesn't stop you playing attack minded football.
Reach for the stars
And if you don't grab 'em,
At least you'll fall on top of the world
Think about it
The following user(s) said Thank You: C.J.

Witton Albion vs Atherton Collieries. 8 months 6 days ago #23

A relief to get the win and the players deserved to win with their 100% effort. My only grouse is that we pull everyone back for corners, free kick and even throw ins. All that happens is the ball comes straight back and puts the defence under even more pressure, we need to leave a couple of players up so that we have an outlet giving the defence to reorganise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: swampytheflavell

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds