• Thank you received: 3
Witton v Gateshead: League Cup preview
By Andrew Simpson
Comment
Witton Albion v Gateshead (ko 3pm)
UniBond League Challenge Cup Quarter Final
Venue: Wincham Park
Previous meeting: n/a

Witton (from): Kennedy (GK), Coo, Pritchard, Barras, Kearney, Brownhill, MacPherson, Lloyd, Gill, Brown, Peers, Morning, Drohan, Brodie, Thornley, Warlow, Rutter
Doubtful: none
Injured: none
Suspended: none
Cup tied: Evans
Top scorer: Adam Warlow (22)
Route to this round: Albion saw off Colwyn Bay in the third round, managed by former boss Gary Findley, on penalties after a 2-2 draw. Now departed Tom Spearritt and John Dillon were the scorers for Jim Vince's men. They then defeated long time UniBond Division One North leaders Curzon Ashton 2-1 in the fourth round. Rod Thornley scored both Albion's goals.

Gateshead (from): Musselwhite (GK), Keen (GK), Jones, Baxter, Curtis, Smith, Talbot, Cave, Flynn, Baker, Hughes, Harwood, Gate, Bowey, Salvin, Phillips, Southern, Armstrong, Brayson, Thompson
Doubtful: none
Injured: none
Suspended: none
Top scorer: Graeme Armstrong (16)
Route to this round: Ian Bogie's men eased past local rivals Newcastle Blue Star in the third round with goal from Wayne Phillips and Steve Salvin securing a 2-0 win. They followed that with a 3-2 success over Sheffield in a game they twice led by two goals. Paul Thompson, James Dudgeon and David Southern were on target.

advertisement
Match pointers
BOTH managers are expected to shuffle their pack for the dress rehearsal ahead of next weekend's main event.

Albion assistant boss Nigel Deeley this week told the Guardian that the league leaders would persist with their rotation policy for this competition.

"There will be one or two boys from the reserve team given a chance to shine like they have done against Colwyn Bay and Curzon Ashton," he said.

"To be fair they have done really well whenever we have called on them."

Kurtis Gill, Tim Drohan and Daniel Gleave could come into the reckoning but Matt Woolley, so impressive against Curzon Ashton in the last round, is unavailable.

The hosts are likely to rest a few regulars ahead of next week's crucial league clash, although Rod Thornley should get a run out after missing the midweek trip to Matlock. Dave MacPherson is still not fully over his stomach strain to may take another rest.

Opponents Gateshead could hand a debut to former Northwich Victoria star Paul Brayson after he signed from York City.

He faces stiff competition for places in attack with top scorer Graeme Armstrong and club leading marksman Paul Thompson jostling for a starting shirt.

Like Jim Vince, Gatehead boss Ian Bogie believes the league encounter is the big one for his team.

"I am sure our win over Fleetwood will have sent out a message to other teams," he told the Newcastle Journal.

"Although most people are talking about us being play-off candidates, I am still looking for the top prize."

Gateshead are certainly a team in form, with seven successive victories to their name following a midweek extra time Durham Challenge Cup win over Spennymoor United.

Should the scores be level after normal time then extra time of 15 minutes each way shall be played. Should the scores still be level at the end of that half hour period then the result will be decided by penalty kicks.

8:45am today

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Club Shop Online

Check out the great range of goods on sale at the Witton Albion Club Shop.

Re: witton v gateshead 11 years 7 months ago #2

• GE
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 85
Also Cup tied: Adam Morning.

Re: witton v gateshead 11 years 7 months ago #3

Do not agree with playing only 7 regular 1st teamers - Thornley and Peers on the bench. Should be going all out for the DOUBLE. :(

Re: witton v gateshead 11 years 7 months ago #4

I'd take 3 points next Saturday rather than a win tomorrow. Why risk it?! If Gateshead play reserves, then what's to stop them crocking a few of our better players?!

I'd say Kearney, Rutter, Brown, Thornley, should start plus a few of the reserves.

Re: witton v gateshead 11 years 7 months ago #5

• WHS
  • Legend
  • Legend
  • Just call me "WHS"
  • Thank you received: 164
Sorry Eli, palying our full team in unimportant cup ties cost us the title last year, lesson learned I would say.
WHS.
I have been retired for 8 years now and I can confirm two things; You cannot work out how you found time to go to work and it is wonderful to be TOTALLY in charge of your life, with the wife's permission of course. Read me in the Our Town magazine.

Re: witton v gateshead 11 years 7 months ago #6

• CHAD
  • Legend
  • Legend
  • Thank you received: 84
Would imagine Pritch would figure at some point.

Howsabout this little gem - Alf Ashley made 604 appearances & scored 45 goals. B.P. is currently on 603 appearances and has scored 44 goals.

Now what a real fitting tribute (to both of the greatest Witton Albion playing servants of all time) should he net one tomorrow hey?

Re: witton v gateshead 11 years 7 months ago #7

• WHS
  • Legend
  • Legend
  • Just call me "WHS"
I have had the pleasure of watching both these players play for Witton and of meeting them off the field, I even played bowls with Alf at Owley Wood. They have another thing in common already Chad, they are both, to use an over used word, "nice" men. To be honest, in my life, I have met very few genuinely "nice" men but these two fit that word perfectly.
WHS.
I have been retired for 8 years now and I can confirm two things; You cannot work out how you found time to go to work and it is wonderful to be TOTALLY in charge of your life, with the wife's permission of course. Read me in the Our Town magazine.

Re: witton v gateshead 11 years 7 months ago #8

Get yourself down to WP and u will meet loads of "nice" men and women. ;)

Re: witton v gateshead 11 years 7 months ago #9

• CHAD
  • Legend
  • Legend
  • Thank you received: 84
Not a league match today so you won't be counted as a jinx cos our home cup record is pretty bleak already. You may even change that! COME ON DOWN Watching Pritch must surely be better than them foreigners playing with a funny ball this afternoon.

Re: witton v gateshead 11 years 7 months ago #10

• WHS
  • Legend
  • Legend
  • Just call me "WHS"
I am expecting my son Chris up from Birmingham today, if he arrives in time I will come along as it is a cup tie and will not affect our league form. Don't worry, I am expecting some "stick" for staying away, I am Very thick skinned!!
WHS.

Re: witton v gateshead 11 years 7 months ago #11

• WA
  • Semi-Pro
  • Semi-Pro
  • Thank you received: 0
Team:

Ellison, Brownhill, Coo,, Pritch, Kearney, Brodie, McPherson, Brown, Warlow, Rutter, Skelton.

Subs Thornley, Gill and Gleave.

0 - 0 after half an hour.

Fleetwood 1 up at home to Whitby.
NFU 1 up away at Kendal.
Come on Witton Come on Witton Come on Witton Come on

Re: witton v gateshead 11 years 7 months ago #12

I've seen it on the Gateshead forum that we lost 1-0 and had a player sent off. Any confirmation/details anybody?

Re: witton v gateshead 11 years 7 months ago #13

• WA
  • Semi-Pro
  • Semi-Pro
  • Thank you received: 0
Yeah lost 1 - 0 goal came from a free kick. Rutter sent off along with the Gateshead number 5.

Re: witton v gateshead 11 years 7 months ago #14

yes its all true.

Brayson (yes the ex-Vics striker)scored for Gateshead with a well taken free kick with about 20mins to go. Each side lost a player for an incident I didn't see - Rutter for us and their number 5.

Overall there were quite a few changes from the side we would expect to see next week, so I wouldn't set any great store by this result.

Some may argue that it was the wrong approach to chnage the team, but for me I am not unhappy we are out.

As for the game - I though Gateshead had some good firsthalf chances and we had a couple in the second half before they scored. But it says it all that we took off Adam Warlow and didn't go chasing the game.

Roll on next Saturday

Re: witton v gateshead 11 years 7 months ago #15

I'm a big believer that players cannot just turn it on and off. I think we should be going full tilt in every game at this time of the season. But of course will bow to JVs superior knowledge. Just hope we haven't had too much damage for next week. No doubt our defeat, no matter in a useless competition, will be a big boost to the chasing pack. Gateshead are not out of the Championship race by any means. I just feel that if we gave them a bl**dy good hiding today it could well have sent a massive message to them and Fleetwood.

Hope the boys prove me wrong.
WAFC Supporters Club - Otley Branch

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds