Next Fixture

No events

Club Shop Online

Check out the great range of goods on sale at the Witton Albion Club Shop.

New book on the history of Witton Albion

If anyone would like to order a copy of the book, written by Allen Lowe (WHS on here), please post on the ' BOOK ' thread or contact Allen directly. The book should be published later this year, Allen will need to know the number required. The book will cost in the region of £10, all profits will go to the club.
Please spread the message to any Wittoners you know who no longer get to games or who do not use this forum.

Guardian

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1 by WHS

I got banned by the Guardian for saying Andrew Simpson was biased towards Northwich Victoria, it seems he has changed allegiance and now is biased towards 1666 Winsford! Does he not know we are the senior team in town and that 1666 are not? If so why so much coverage of a team no higher than Winsford, who get virtually no coverage at all? Mr. Simpson, admit it, you are biased and certainly not towards our wonderful club.
WHS.

I have been retired for 8 years now and I can confirm two things; You cannot work out how you found time to go to work and it is wonderful to be TOTALLY in charge of your life, with the wife's permission of course. Read me in the Our Town magazine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: eligorton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Club Shop Online

Check out the great range of goods on sale at the Witton Albion Club Shop.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #2 by C.J.

The bias sadly is obvious, we are the senior club, with our own ground in the town and the stats today look are about 70% For the Winsford club 15% for the nearly defunct club and 15% for Witton Albion THE senior club in town. The bias is obvious and it is perhaps striking how it changed when Brian Pritchard was not the manager- and even worse since He was not reappointed ! you would think Andrew Simpson had a personal reason for his Bias otherwise how can it be explained !!! Maybe it is time to speak to the Guardian editor and ask for an explanation officially through the club and or for Wittoners to simply stop buying the paper altogether if they do not play fair which they clearly are not.

Witton Albion for Life UTA
The following user(s) said Thank You: eligorton

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #3 by come_on_the_albs

Strongly disagree chaps i'm afraid. It is probably because we had no game on Saturday so what's to write about? Simmo is at nearly all if not all of our home games and a few aways and his twitter feed provides updates to those who can't make it away. It's also in Simmo's best interested to include all teams if he wants to sell papers!

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #4 by eligorton

There was a time when the Chronicle and Guardian football reports were appreciated by Mid Cheshire footy fans when decent writers like George Newman Alick Day etc delivered accurate and detailed accounts. Since the digital age fell on us it's all old news and would not pay a penny for it never mind a pound !
Chip shop paper !

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #5 by Johno

Mr Simpson for the coverage your newspaper gives to the town team I don't know why you bother at all. 1874 are a Northwich team in name only and for your newspaper to give preferential coverage to them is shameful. As previously stated time for a letter to the editor.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #6 by Bob1874

At least there will be another 15% available soon!

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #7 by Mookie Blaylock

Simmo is a keen contributor to the programme in his own time, and is at most home games and some away. His remit doesnt just include us, or even just football. He covers the rugby, the bowls, and all the other local sports. He's always seemed pretty fair to me.

Should not post when drunk.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #8 by C.J.

There may have been no game last Saturday but we did play Warrington and even more galling is the promotion of this coming Home Saturdays and next Tuesdays Huge game is barely mentioned WE ARE THE SENIOR CLUB ! But just look at how much promotion 1874 Get 90% of the back page with huge headlines and a big spread on the inside cover also so dont tell Me its fair because it clearly isnt !
I dont care what He does in his spare time to be honest He can watch 1874 or Vics anytime He wants ! but I expect Him to be fair and even handed in the Guardian with His reporting and He isnt. Shades of MTB me thinks.

More
2 months 1 week ago #9 by oddfellow

perhaps we should look at ourselves and how much information we pass on to Simmo . Do we have a press officer ? would someone like to volunteer? like it or not 1874 are very good at getting news and info across to Simmo, but we would rather sit back and hope that others do the job ( Im guilty as well) . Simmo comes to the vast majority of our matches and perhaps the southern section has curtailed his away trips but he, IMO is always fair in his reporting. I have spoken to him at matches and he comes across as a sports nut (not just football) and unbiased in his support for local teams. If we dont give him any news or info the back pages would be very blank.

I have no idea what I am doing. But incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."

More
2 months 1 week ago #10 by C.J.

HE is the reporter and should take news to His audience I cannot believe He would ask for info and not get it, it is HIS job to put together the news about our upcoming games He knows We are playing Lincoln at home on Saturday and that we play Shaw lane next Tuesday and even if we hadnt spoke to Him there is nothing of a story or a headline about WAFC but He manages to create big headlines and headlines about the Winsford team-I could have wrote a story without talking to Witton and so could He but He didnt it was a choice and His choice.

More
2 months 1 week ago #11 by GE

I blame the referee....
GE

More
2 months 1 week ago #12 by WHEELS

He always gets the blame.

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #13 by Paul S

I strongly suspect that Simmo is often "leaned on" by some of the older generation 1874 Northwich supporters to give them the better coverage in the Guardian. These will be the same people that tried to stop Northwich Town Council sponsoring our game on boxing day (which they failed to do but they did prevent the council's representatives being allowed any complimentary food or drink - how's that for Christmas spirit eh).

Personally I never had a problem with V*cs being on the back page and getting the bigger headlines when they were Northwich's biggest club. But it should now be us and I agree that the Winsford club are increasingly getting the better coverage. I would hate to see us lower ourselves to some 1874/former V*cs fans level, because we never have done that, but a letter to the Guardian asking for justification of this is far from unreasonable given the circumstances IMO.

If I had the wings of a sparrow...
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Paul S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: C.J.

More
2 months 1 week ago #14 by W.O

Something else to moan about.

More
2 months 1 week ago #15 by Alan Walker

Who is the clubs press officer? Surely they need to be engaging more with the Guardian.

I have noticed recently that the clubs online presence is lacking and the website is badly updated and dull.

Time to create page: 0.602 seconds