Next Fixture

Witton Albion v. Matlock Town
0 days 10 hours and 32 minutes

From the Board

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #1 by batchman
batchman created the topic: From the Board
Further to previous posts on here, just want to emphasise how important it is to have a constant income stream apart from the gate money, and other activities which sources revenue (eg Academy and others).

I’m going to suggest a supporters committee of say up to 6 people (ideally a mixed age group, but not essential), who can meet up occasionally, and organise fund raising events. We have loads of ideas, but just not the manpower to carry them out, and if a committee can be formed, the responsibility won’t just land on one persons shoulders. Apparently, in the past we had something similar, and they were raising up to £400 weekly by organising a variety of events, which continued out of season also. It’s also a good way of keeping in touch off season and discussing the latest transfer gossip.

We all love Witton, and we all want the same thing (hopefully). I think it’s pretty obvious the volunteers we have (over 60 at the last count) and the hard core supporters, with many falling into both categories, must be the envy of many non-league teams. It would be tremendous if current volunteers/hardcore supporters could take on that bit more and/or new blood with new ideas and skills would be an added bonus.

Witton’s financial standing is now better than it has been for years BUT, like any business, if you stand still, you automatically go backwards, and that’s why we mustn’t let that happen. We need to increase our income and continue to look at ways of consistently improving our bank balance for all our sakes – we all want Witton to compete at the highest possible level, but we need to be able to afford these changes as and when they happen.

As I mentioned above, already we have loads of ideas (many of which have come from supporters, and others from the Board) including a Race Night, A Kiddies Christmas Party, an OAP’s Party etc. We could organise Pool and Darts knockout competitions either from within the Club or Open competitions. Also, we could look at Quiz nights, disco’s, live entertainment and many many more. Also, the committee could look at non-funding events such as Chester Races, a 10 pin bowling competition and others just to keep up the camaraderie. Basically the committee would be helping raise more revenue, but also raising the morale of the club generally by having a good laugh at the non profit events.

Already we have Ian Dobson organising another Sportsman’s Evening in November which is a guaranteed great night, Jason has now organised two Boxing Nights at the Club (one of which is imminent) – the first one was a resounding success by all accounts. Brian Cross has been running the Walking Football for nearly a year now, which is so successful, but that can be even better with more players ie currently aimed at the let’s say more mature supporters. Younger players could probably be set up to play within their age range, and Brian has also been approached to look at perhaps women taking part. Please contact him if you are interested. I guarantee the banter and fun we have on a Monday night is worth taking it further. I could go on, (and apologies to anyone I’ve missed out) but I’m hoping you get the gist of raising money but also working together and enjoying ourselves. Everyone’s a winner.

If there are people happy to help on a committee, let’s get something organised and meet up. Sure we can stand a pint or two for you!!!! Please let me know on here, in person, or any other way, and I will gladly get involved in setting up such a venture.

Another item of news – we now have Social Media being covered by Callum Bradke. He has volunteered for this role, and has started the job by covering match reports on Witton’s facebook and twitter pages etc. He will be a valuable asset, and we’ll all see the benefit of having a young and enthusiastic member on board. We wish him all the best in his role, and I’m sure once he has his feet firmly under the table, he may be able to extend his talents and we are quite certain you will all be pleased with his contributions. Good luck Callum.

Went to the Workington game yesterday, and haven’t seen a game of football like that for years. The first 25 minutes were awesome from Witton. Had it been a boxing match, the referee might have stopped the bout, it was that one sided. Then a nightmare of 3 attempts, and 3 goals in 4 minutes. You could not imagine the shock and disbelief unless you were there. So come on everyone, a 4-0 scoreline looks bad, but instead of knocking the team, management, and next door’s lodger, get behind them, encourage them instead of assuming they were awful. That is so far off the mark, and totally counter-productive. We need support not criticism at the next match – PLEASE!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WHS, Paul S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Club Shop Online

Check out the great range of goods on sale at the Witton Albion Club Shop.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #2 by Callum99
Callum99 replied the topic: From the Board
Personally, I think it's important that we remember why we support our club and what we want for it. Although it may look impossible, it isn't impossible to replicate what the likes of Burton Albion, Fleetwood Town and Accrington Stanley have done. If we all put a shift in for our club instead of just turning up and driving away again then we might just achieve something special as I keep saying. The 3 teams above didn't earn their success just by throwing money at the problem you know. Alan Jackson (Batchman) has put a post on here before and it was completely ignored despite the amount of views it got. That suggests to me that most of you aren't interested. You could have a real impact on this club if you wanted to. Board members, the chairman and myself are always listening to ideas but as said above, we just don't have the man power to pull these things off, unless you stand forward.

WALK LIKE LIONS AMONGST SHEEP!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul S

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #3 by Callum99
Oh and I forgot to mention, come and watch the frigging game before you start digging your heels into something you haven't seen. You know who you are. If it was down to me this forum would be closed off quicker than Prince Haywood making an interception. #PlayUpWitton

More
2 weeks 5 days ago - 2 weeks 5 days ago #4 by WHEELS
WHEELS replied the topic: From the Board
When we were at the Central Ground, we had a Supporters Association which raised funds, organised events such as the end of season awards night. They had a reasonable membership in terms of numbers and at that time we ran at least one supporters coach to most away games if not all of them - offering discounts on travel to members.

Admittedly, at that time we had a much larger fan base and the organising of events was very often shared rather than it falling on the shoulders of one person. I have made the suggestion about re-forming that organisation or something similar and it did have a little bit of interest. I would be more than happy to become involved in that but my present circumstances don't allow it for the time being.

It's a fact that if we want to progress both on and off the field, then it needs revenue and to think we could do it without is a non-starter. Other clubs have shown how things can be done but it has needed a certain amount of money for those things to happen.

Everything centres around finance in one way or another because it would be almost impossible to achieve anything without it.

At present, we are in a situation where our support has fallen which is very disappointing considering the season the team had around twelve months ago. The club have tried different things in order to try and encourage people to come but, you can't force people to turn up if they choose not to.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 5 days ago by WHEELS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul S, Callum99

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #5 by Paul S
Paul S replied the topic: From the Board
These are great posts by Batchman, Callum and Derek. Thank you.

It feels at this moment in time that we are at a crossroads as a club and we the fans need to help in which direction we want it to go in and grow. With the squad we have we could probably sit quite comfortably where we are for the foreseeable. We are probably just about right as a club atm.

We are in a tricky position though, the board will probably (quite rightly) not wish us to lift above our weight on current attendances and go up a league. On the other hand there are distant wittoners (just thinking along the lines of the 800 odd at the play off v spalding) who will say that the club does not show enough ambition. We are caught in the middle ground currently.

For me the potential and fan base is undoubtedly there to push on, I'll be happy to chip in and help wherever I can and I'll speak to Batchman and Callum at the next home game. NASA maybe we're not but getting back to the WASA of the Central Ground days with a group of dedicated fans with initiative and ideas on how to grow the club seems a great idea to me. It is the school of science after all, count me in.

UTA

If I had the wings of a sparrow...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thatched tavern

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #6 by Thatched tavern
Thatched tavern replied the topic: From the Board
Some great posts on how the fans can help the club, and help keep the club at the level it is at, and possibly help the club progress. The only negative is that there has been so much negativity on this forum that a lot of supporters have stopped reading it!

Six out of seven dwarfs arn't happy

More
2 weeks 4 days ago - 2 weeks 4 days ago #7 by Johno
Johno replied the topic: From the Board

Thatched tavern wrote: Some great posts on how the fans can help the club, and help keep the club at the level it is at, and possibly help the club progress. The only negative is that there has been so much negativity on this forum that a lot of supporters have stopped reading it!

Unfortunately it is a fans forum for fans to openly vent their viewpoints. I don't think you will find many unofficial forums where fans don't moan.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by WHEELS.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #8 by Matt Cat
Matt Cat replied the topic: From the Board
Johno as far as im aware this is no longer an unofficial forum? Im sure the Club brought it into their hands a while back and they have power to close it down should they feel fit.
There's only the same handful who really comment on here these days and one of them can have a conversation with himself for days on end!
Once again a thread to promote an opportunity to move the club forward has been hijacked by the doom and gloom brigade!

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #9 by Johno
Johno replied the topic: From the Board

Matt Cat wrote: Johno as far as im aware this is no longer an unofficial forum? Im sure the Club brought it into their hands a while back and they have power to close it down should they feel fit.
There's only the same handful who really comment on here these days and one of them can have a conversation with himself for days on end!
Once again a thread to promote an opportunity to move the club forward has been hijacked by the doom and gloom brigade!

Thanks for that Matt. I for one personally enjoy reading the constructive posts and believe it is the correct place for giving an opinion. The recent posting from the board is positive and a great opportunity for fans with time on their hands to make a real difference. As for a certain poster having a conversation with himself there are no words. UTA

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #10 by C.J.
C.J. replied the topic: From the Board
Yes bringing back the WASA Would be a decent idea, We formed the original WASA Committee to do exactly what Alan suggested, namely - discreet from the board, focused on trying out events, POYA night, sportsmans evenings, collections, coaches and the supporters shop. Personally I would struggle to commit any more time to it as I am busy on stadium stuff but 8-10 of our Younger people with some energy and a love for the Albs would be great.

Witton Albion for Life UTA

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #11 by Callum99
Question on who those younger people can be. I have my time used on social media and other press outlets in the future

More
2 weeks 3 days ago - 2 weeks 3 days ago #12 by WHEELS
WHEELS replied the topic: From the Board
Can't call myself a youngster anymore but as I've already said, I would be prepared to do as much as I can regarding that.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 3 days ago by WHEELS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WHS

Time to create page: 0.849 seconds